Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Egg Retrieval

Last night we started off by attending a lecture at UCSD about infertility.  We met a few fellow couples from the support group there.  It  was nice to see friendly supportive faces on the night before the ER.  I loaded up on hugs and learned a few new things.  It is amazing to me how quickly protocols change in the infertility world.  An example in our case, our very first IVF was in Nov 2013.  It was a fresh transfer with no genetic testing with two embryos.  Now at the same clinic, they do 80+% frozen transfers and 60+% genetic testing.  Every 2 years it seems like they are learning new things and getting more data to make the changes.  I also learned that one of the universally horrible tests you have to do for your work up is something called an hsg test.  It is done in a hospital and it is very painful.  Not only that, but they use x-rays to look at your tubes which is harmful.  Now they have moved on to a bubble test which is PAIN FREE and done with a sonogram at a doctors office.  AMAZING!

After the lecture we went and got ice cream for the simple reason, because I felt like it :)  A scoop of nutty coconut and I was a happy camper. After ice cream, I cut up the watermelon and ate as much as I could.  I also lit a candle with a baby on it that my grandmother gave me for good luck.  I tried really hard to get some sleep, but I could not relax enough.  My mind was racing with anxiety.

In the morning I woke up and took my final shower with the antibacterial soap.  On a side note, I have nerve damage in my leg and had a neurostimulator implanted back in 2011.  I have to turn that off before any surgery. This always make me so nervous because I forgot about 4 surgeries ago and Ryan had to run home to get my remote before the could start.  I remebered and turned it off and started to feel less anxious.  When I got dressed, I had a silly thought.  I have worn really ugly sweats and IVF pajamas to all my other IVF cycle. My embabies probably think I'm a super dork.  This time I rocked out in one of my favorite band t shirts.  This way they know their Mom is cool and not afraid to go home with us someday.  Ridiculous I know, but we latch on to anything we can to try and help the situation and think positively.  I was such a ball of hyper energy that I decided to go for a walk while Ryan finished getting ready.  When it was time to go, he found me and off we went to the clinic.

We checked in, turned in all our used needles in a sharps container (bye you jerks, never do I want to see you again) and prepared for the ER.  They have a massage chair for when you first check in and that really did help to relax.  Its not as great as the bair paw gowns that RPMG has, but I'll take whatever I can get.  Ryan had to sign a few forms stating that he will be a responsible adult and take care of me over the next 24 hours.  Its nice to see a contract demanding that your husband take care of you.  The nurse and I joked that it includes unlimited foot rubs. Then I had to kiss Ryan goodbye and head into the OR.  I am very happy to report that the watermelon again did the trick and they got my IV going on the very first try.  This is monumental news because this hardly ever happens.

After the ER is over, they tell Ryan all my numbers and then when I wake up he tells me how well we did.  As soon I open my eyes, he comes back and keep me company in the recovery room. I have to take in an IV bag of fluids and then I can go home.  We checked in around 8:15 and we were back home by 11am.

The results of the ER was very promising.  They were able to retrieve 18 follicles.  This is the most we have ever had.  Before this, the most we have had is 15 and the lowest was 7.  Ryan also had great numbers today.  His results were also higher than we have ever had.  I guess all those supplements finally paid off.  However, there is no reason to jump up and down and celebrate yet.  Now we need to hope and pray that they do well and continue to grow in the lab.  We need them to make it to day 5 blasts in order to biopsy them for genetic testing and freeze them for a future FET.  No one gets 100% to make it to day 5 blasts, but we need to hope that we can get as many as possible.  To put this in perspective we have had 3 as the most that have made in and 2 as the least.  We have 2 frozen and banked now.  Statistically I need 6 to get one normal back from the PGS test.  The reason we need 6 is because our odds are less than great since I have had 3 failed FETs so far.  After 3 you automatically drop to a really bad category of basically hopeless cases.  So that means ideally we would need 4 day 5 blasts.  Fingers and toes are crossed, prayers are being sent and all our energy is focused on trying to stay positive and hopeful for our embabies to continue to grow.  I am doing pretty well.  I have serious bloating still and some cramping but that is very normal and to be expected.

Thanks for reading,
HEATHER

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the transfer. Hope you recover from the egg retrieval quickly and get some rest.

    ReplyDelete