Sunday, March 3, 2019

Time for Lupron

I finished my round of birth control pills and now it's time for Lupron, Lupron Depot specifically.  Lupron Depot is basically a 1 month version all-in-one shot instead of daily shots.  Ryan and I once calculated how many shots we did in all our other rounds and the total came out to somewhere around 800.  Yes you read that right, 800!!!!  One would think that would make us pros.  And while we are definitely proficient at this, it certainly never gets any easier.  My anxiety is always sky high.  It takes a lot of faith in your partner, who is not a medical professional, to trust that they can administer the shot with the same skills as a professional.  And I have to say that Ryan hits the mark, pun intended, every time.  Most of the clinics have how to videos online, but he usually finds some good and helpful information on YouTube.  This is definitely one of those times where I am extremely grateful to have a partner that can handle this type of stuff.  Of all the 800+ shots I have received, he has administered every singe one of them so a huge amount of gratitude towards my guy!
Tips and tricks for surviving Lupron injections.
  • Ice, ice baby!  Ice the injection spot for 5 minutes a head of time.  This is an intermuscular shot so that means the behind. 
  • As soon as the injection is over, massage the injection spot and the area around it.
  • Walk, do lunges, do squats, basically do anything to move your glutes and help ease the medicine into your system.  It will feel better in the long run.
The infamous Lupron Depot shot.  This is the shot that originally was going to cost $1,600, 
but luckily insurance did cover a portion of it and our out of pocket was $1,200.
Now we sit and wait for my period to start and then all the other medications will begin.

Thanks For Reading,
HEATHER

4 comments:

  1. Geezus MMother-FFffffff'er. . . 800 shots. . . and. . . WTF!! $1200. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! Just glad it went from $1600 down to $1200!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m curious why birth control pills are part of the regimen. Glad you only have “one shot anxiety” this time! What comes next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I need my period to start on a certain date to time the cycle. When I've cycled here in the states, I usually don't take BCPs, some doctors still use it as part of their protocol though to make things more predictable. Because I'm traveling though, we need everything to happen when the doctor wants it to, so by being on BCPs, they are controlling the cycle. Otherwise, if I started my period a few days late or early, we may not be in country at the right time.

      Delete