Sunday, September 20, 2015

Fertility Jewelry

For this cycle, since it will be my last cycle no matter what the outcome is, I am trying everything I possibly can to get focused and try to stay positive.  I decided that I wanted to find a necklace with a fertility charm on it that spoke to me.  I could wear it everyday and remind myself of the goal I am working towards and the support that I have from those around me.  Plus we could use a bit of luck.

In my search I couldn't find a single necklace that I liked or if I did like it I felt it was very overpriced.  Then I started researching different fertility symbols and seeing if any of them spoke to me.  I found two that I really liked and decided to make my own necklace.

First is Kokopelli, known as a fertility god, prankster, healer and story teller, Kokopelli has been a source of wonder throughout the country for centuries. What I really like about Kokopelli is that he is connected to fertility, home and music all three of which are important to me.

There are many myths of the famous Kokopelli. One of which is that he traveled from village to village bringing the changing of winter to spring; melting the snow and bringing about rain for a successful harvest. It is also said that the hunch on his back depicted the sacks of seeds and songs he carried. Legend also has it that the flute playing also symbolized the transition of winter to spring. Kokopelli’s flute is said to be heard in the spring’s breeze, while bringing warmth. It is also said that he was the source of human conception. Legend has it, everyone in the village would sing and dance throughout the night when they heard Kokopelli play his flute. The next morning, every maiden in the village would be with child. (if only it was that easy!)

Second is the tortoise.  The turtle/tortoise is a common symbol for fertility for a number of reasons.  First, the turtle is a water animal and water is related to a fertile womb. Turtles also lay a large number of eggs and have a large number of offspring. Turtles have been linked with the fertility goddess Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and procreation. The turtle is also associated with the moon; the 13 squares in the middle of its shell are connected to the 13 full moons each year. The turtle also has 28 smaller squares around the outside of the shell which are associated with the 28 days of the lunar month which corresponds to a woman's cycle. Turtles are also thought to be protective, so if you are concerned about miscarriage, the turtle may protect your pregnancy.

So I ordered my supplies from the wholesaler and made my own jewelry.  I bought extras so I could share with others struggling with infertility that couldn't find anything they liked either.  My necklaces can be found on my Etsy page called Love Haight Designs.  I made both, one with a turtle charm and one with a Kokopelli charm.  I also priced them very low because most people struggling with infertility are also struggling with the funds to pay for all the treatment.  I hope that this is just a small thing I can do to support my fellow couples on a long and unfair fertility journey.  I alternate between the two necklaces but I wear at least one every day.  I'll take all the luck I can get and in any way shape or form that it comes in.

Thanks for reading,
HEATHER

No comments:

Post a Comment